Thursday, July 27, 2006

I'm in love with Books on CD

I work for a company that requires that I do some driving. I go from courthouse to courthouse, collecting records for an insurance company. I don't mind the work, but the driving is a toughie. I don't like to drive. Several reasons for my dislike: I got in a bad car accident as a junior in high school, so a part of me worries that I am going to fall asleep at the wheel again; secondly, I did a lot of driving in high school (I had to commute 45 minutes to get to school for three years) and I think I got my fill of driving then; and lastly but the most importantly, it is really boring. I cannot figure out how people like to drive. When you're on a freeway, all you do is set your cruise control to 75 mph (okay, fine, I set mine to 80, you caught me) and go in a forward motion. The only thing you have to do is make sure you don't run into the person in front of you. Not exactly thrilling beyond words.

This all changed when I discovered the world of Books on CD. I have my mother-in-law to thank for this wondrous discovery. She lent me The DaVinci Code on CD, and I started listening to it while in the truck, driving to a courthouse. I quickly got caught up in the story (as long as you consider the story to be fiction, it's a great entertaining read!) and I didn't want to stop driving! That is a first in Hava History. I am usually ready to jump out of the car 15 minutes after getting in. But that's because driving is so bloody boring. You can't read while you drive, you can't surf the internet while you drive. You can't write articles or paint your toenails or watch movies while you drive. You can't cross-stitch, cook dinner, or paint your masterpiece while you drive. And if you are doing those things while you drive, please tell me so I can avoid driving in your state.

But with Books on CDs, you CAN read while you drive!! This is fantastic! I am huge fan of reading; I absolutely love to read, but I never have enough time to. Here, finally, I can "read" while driving. I get to my destination and I want to keep driving, so I can finish the chapter! Will wonders never cease, I have learned to love to drive again.

I am now drooling over a set of CDs that I saw at Barnes & Noble. The whole series is called the Portable Professor Series, and the one in particular that I thought looked great was Jersulam: City of God, City of Fire. I love learning about Jerusalem after my trip there, and so I continue to drool over the series every time I walk into B&N.

In the meantime though, I'll be busy learning about Martin Luther King, Jr, my latest CD on book. I love learning, love to read, and now I love to drive.

How much better could life get?

Hava

1 comment:

Hava said...

I actually got the Martin Luther King set from the library. Now that I have finished The DaVinci Code, I am going to donate that to them also. Unfortunately for me, my library has got a HUGE selection of Books on Tape, but a very small selection on CDs. I don't have a tape player in my truck, so the Books on Tape don't do me any good. About broke my heart when I saw the Books on CD selection at the library. If I buy any Books on CD, I plan on donating them after I'm done.

And yes, I actually love the part where it makes you use your imagination. Being a big reader, that's what I'm used to anyway. I often think I was born in the wrong generation! LOL!