Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I love my job, I honestly do!

I love my Primary children. I know I complain about them a lot on here, but I do want you to know that this is just my way of venting. I wouldn’t trade my job for the world. My husband and I have been married for 4 years (we got married in the Idaho Falls Temple in April of 2002) and have yet to be blessed with any children. Since my family and his all seem to have the goal of single-handedly repopulating the Earth, this makes us feel distinctly out of place at times, like we crawled out from under a rock and was somehow made a part of two families who then had no idea what to do with us. At one point, my sister and my two sister-in-laws were all pregnant at the same time. The only thing Doug and I have contributed to the family tree is two dogs, and despite my best persuasive argument, my parents just don’t see grand puppies on the same level as grandchildren. I tried pointing out the family resemblance, but for some unknown reason, that didn’t endear my parents any more to the thought.

But despite our apparent inability to have children, I am still okay because I have my kids in church. I have children that I have seen grow up for the last 4 years, and I feel almost like a second mother to them. They run up to me on Sunday and say, “Sister Lyon, Sister Lyon, look at the scratch on my hand!” I ohh and ahh over their scratches and their drawings and their stories about their newest toy that their parents wouldn’t let them take to church, and somehow in the midst of all of that, I have been blessed with the capacity to love them all, even the difficult ones like Christopher. I love to receive drawings on Sunday and big hugs and I even get to enjoy many of the kids during Sacrament Meeting. The kids all know that I carry a huge box of crayons with me to church on Sunday (96 count, no weasely 12 count for me) and that I have an endless supply of paper, so I will usually get 2-4 kids snuggling with me during Sacrament Meeting while their parents get to take a well-deserved break.

I love my job and wouldn’t trade it for the world. Just don't make me take Christopher home with me.

3 comments:

Cherubhugs said...

Good to see some entries from you! I have been married for almost 5 years and still no children either. Although I must say, we haven't tried because right now it would be a finanial burden. I want to have a child despritely and hope to start trying in the next 2 years. I am 32 and sometimes feel time is running out. But then i hear about woman who are 40 and having babies. I guess I should not give up hope

Ann

Jane said...

Hi, Havs,

After awhile, I hope you'll consider the miracle of adoption. After it became obvious we couldn't have children, I had a hysterectomy. Two years later the Lord blessed us with a perfectly healthy three-day-old boy. He is now 17 and the light of our lives. He's gorgeous, brilliantly smart, and has never said an unkind word to or about anyone in his life. He is our only child, and to this day we can't believe we were so blessed with the privilege to be his parents. This fall, he'll start college a year early. He is blessedly free from the health problems that have plagued both my husband's family and my own, so we think adoption actually worked out better for us all in the long run! Meanwhile, you're a great person and you KNOW there's something wonderful in store for you!

Jane (from CS boards!)

Hava said...

Ann, I hope you and I are both blessed. :) Hopefully things will work out the way they are supposed to.

Jane, thanks for stopping by! I didn't realize you read my blog. Anyway, I have thought a lot about adoption. Every time I read about foster parents who mistreat their foster children, it just makes me sick inside. I would love to do foster parent work. That is something that I want to look into in the near future, when our bills have been paid down. Maybe when it comes time, I'll be knocking on your door, asking for advice. :)