Saturday, June 10, 2006

In the cold light of day...

Do I still want to do this? I signed up for this "blogging" thing about midnight last night. I thought, "Hmm, I wonder if I will still want to do this come morning. I think I will, at least I hope I will!" Well, last night, I must have woken up at least 5 different times, thinking, "I have a blog now! When I get up, I can blog again!" I am starting to realize just how addicting this whole thing is...

I have also been analyzing myself--why do I love to write so much? Where did this come from? The answer: My father, without a doubt. He is a writer through and through. He can take something as dry and mundane as Christmas letters (My child won first place in his class spelling bee this year. He's a genius! I am filling out papers to send him Harvard straight away; he'll be the first child to go from 1st grade to college in one fell swoop!) and turn them into something hilarious. I have laughed so hard during one of my father's Christmas letters that I couldn't breathe.

The really fantastic thing is that everything he says is true. Well, his version of truth anyway. I think we covered that subject yesterday. My "creative" side most definitely came from my father. Anyway, I think most children say, "I want to be just like my father when I grow up" and for me, that is most definitely true in some aspects. The difference between us though, is that I want to support myself by writing. My father has a "real" job that pays him "real" money, and he only flexes his writing abilities in Christmas letters and e-mails to family members. I want more though. I want to support myself 100% through writing. I want to publish books and articles and columns and do whatever it takes to become a self-supported writer.

Am I asking for too much? Probably. Does that mean I will give up the dream? Never.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this is why you have to be careful with the whole "blogging" thing. Now you hurt *my* feelers by not mentioning me, your favoritist biggist brother in the whole wide world.

*sob*

Hava said...

All right, how did YOU find this site? Curiosity killed the cat, I gotta know. :-P

Havs

Anonymous said...

Email chain goes thusly: Person A emails Dad. Dad emails everyone else. Don't worry, it's happened to me a few times :-)

Funny that you mentioned cats, though...