Thursday, June 22, 2006

I almost got sucked in

I was reading a thread on a WAHM forum about a company called Tiny Details, a company that has you assemble products from home. I went to their site and checked them out, and they seemed very legit. I know, I know, how could there ever be an assembly job at home that was legit? But this one DID sound legit (famous last words).

They have these kits that they send in the mail to you (postage paid both ways!) for miniature items. These are those really tiny replications that you can buy to put into a dollhouse. I know that miniatures are really big, so it only made sense that this was a hot item that could do well. Also, since it a craft, most people want a "handmade" craft, so this company was providing their clients (stores) a way to offer that to the customer. This wasn't a "assemble CD cases from home" sort of thing where the product could easily be done by a machine (and with higher quality), but was instead a large assortment of really cute items that could go into a dollhouse: books, Victorian calling cards, food items, magazine racks, etc. I read through the list and they seemed easy enough. I was reaching for the credit card, when I thought, "You know, I should just double-check this."

Here are the BBB reports on this company:

BBB Report #1
BBB Report #2

Here are some threads that I found that discussed Tiny Details in more depth:

WAHM forum thread #1
WAHM forum thread #2

By this point, I felt pretty stupid. I am not one to fall for scams easily. I have been around the block a few times, and when I heard about people falling for a scam, I just shake my head and think, "How could you not tell that was a scam? It was so obvious!" And yet, I almost handed over my credit card to a company that (as far as I can tell) absolutely no one has made any money with!

If someone like me, who is fairly intelligent (or so I like to think! *wink*) and can usually spot a scam from 100 feet away, almost fell for this, how many other people out there are also being taken in by them?

*Sigh*

Havs

No comments: