Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm a little behind times...

My mother wrote me an e-mail yesterday, asking me why I hadn't posted anything new on here. I hadn't even realized she had been reading the blog! So Mom, I'm sorry. I have been quite busy lately (wow, anybody surprised? ) which I'll tell you about in just a second.

But first off, I wanted to put up a mini-rant. Yesterday, I received a comment on my last post, and the comment simply said this, "You're such an attention whore." Nothing else. It was, not surprisingly, put up by an anonymous person. So I have come to the sad conclusion that I cannot allow anonymous posters respond to my blog anymore. If you are going to indescribably rude and obnoxious, you will at least now have to attach your name to it. That is my tiny bit of revenge being enacted. I deleted the comment, BTW. I am not about to let something like that stay up on my blog.

So now that I have given the satisfaction to that person of knowing that s/he got to me (something I told myself I wouldn't do, but I am obviously ignoring myself, never a good thing!) time for a bit of catch-up.

I wanted to tell everyone some plans I have in the works. For the few who didn’t know, I was a student for 18 months at Career Step, to become a medical transcriptionist. I decided only a couple of weeks ago that I did not want to be an MT, and I have instead jumped head first into the world of general transcriptioning. Yes, there is actually a large difference between the two, for those uninitiated people out there, and I am actually doing very well as a GT. You are paid a set amount for each job, no matter how long it takes you to do the job, so the faster you go, the more you end up making per hour. I didn't keep track of my time during my first 2 jobs, but I did start keep track on my 3rd job, of how much I was making. I went from making $7 an hour in the third job, to $8.50 by the sixth job. I probably won't continue to make such drastic improvements like that in the future, but I am at least hoping to not slide backwards. I would be content to stay at $8.50 an hour for a bit, until I got more used to what I was doing. My goal is to make fairly good money (meaning $10+ per hour) within a month or so. We shall see.

But anyway, that is all beside the point. The reason I am bringing all of this up is because when I decided that the MT world really wasn't for me, and that I wanted to be a GT instead, I posted about it on the Career Step forum. The response has been absolutely overwhelming. I have gotten innumerable PMs (private messages) and e-mails in response, so much so that I have almost given up on trying to respond to everyone. I feel really bad because I have some very good friends who have been waiting several weeks to get a response to an e-mail they sent me. That's no good. I feel really guilty about that, and I am hoping to slowly but surely work my way through all of that correspondence and catch up. In the meantime, please forgive me if you happen to be one of those people who are waiting. I promise you, I am not ignoring you!

So because of the response that I have gotten, and the amount of people who have told me how interested they are in the GT world, and could I give them more info, and who do they apply to, and what software do they have to buy, and how much is the pay, etc etc etc, I have decided that I really needed to put something together that I just point everyone to, and say, "Here you go, go read this. It will give you everything you need to know."

Thus, www.wahmjobs.net was born! No, stop, don’t go there now, it is only a blank page at the moment! But that should change over the next several weeks; I am hoping to get it up and running fairly quickly. I plan on having information on both general transcription and medical transcription on the site, so that people can compare the two and make an educated decision on which one they want to do. There are many people who have zero interest in becoming a GT, and they only want to do MT work. There are people who have zero interest in becoming an MT, and only want to do GT work. I want to show people who haven't made up their minds on it yet, the pros and cons of each one, and let them make the decision for themselves on what they want to do. This life is all about choices, right?

But I also want to talk about other jobs that you can do, such as researching or mystery shopping or scoping or being a virtual assistant, or whatever, so that people can see what a huge variety of jobs there are out there. I love helping people, it’s what makes me tick, and I truly think this website will be the way to make that happen. Once I get the site up and running, I will put a notice on this thread and on several forums I belong to, so y’all can check it out. I am hoping to serve a true need with this site; to let guys or gals look over the choice of jobs and make a decision about what they want to do. There is so much out there, and it can be completely overwhelming to a newbie, so hopefully this site will take the “overwhelming” part out of the equation.

I’ll be posting updates regularly, but for now, it is time to head out for a Father’s Day dinner with my in-laws. I hope y’all are enjoying your weekend. I will be back later today to post about an “observation” my hubby made about me on Friday, and what the consequences were of that “observation.” Hang on to your seats, ‘cause it’s gonna be a bumpy ride! :-P

Havs

2 comments:

Cherubhugs said...

Hi Havs!!!
I have been reading your journal since you started it and thought I would finally post!!! I think it is a great idea that you start a web page about work at home jobs! That is so you. You really are kind hearted. I am so glad you still visit us at the CS forum!
Have a great night
~Ann~

Halahblue said...

Attention whore.

Just kidding. I love ya... and i'm attaching my name to it! You have been so great to share your GT information with all of us and Career Step, and soon the whole world! You must be one busy bee to take this stuff on.