Thursday, October 05, 2006

Radio

I know I'm a little slow to the game here (ALL puns intended!) but I finally watched Radio tonight. That was a great, amazing film. I have watched quite a few sports films, and they always come down to the last game where the team comes from behind and wins, and the main character is carried around on everyone's shoulders--you all know what I'm talking about. The last shot of the film is always the person with their fist in the air, usually with the setting sun behind 'em.

This film is amazing because it so different! Radio doesn't become a member of the football team and lead the team to victory. Heck, Radio can't even write his own name! He's still in 11th grade (at age 50-something) but that's just the point of the movie. He is loved by many, and for good reason, even if that reason isn't the usual one that causes people to heap adoration on others. I was watching some of the extras afterwards, and the director was talking about how nice it was to produce a film about someone where he didn't have to deal with agents and egos and everything else. He said here was a guy who was there because he lived in the moment and with passion (I'm paraphrasing there, but that was the general drift.)

If you want a true feel-good movie where you don't have to wade through cheap sentimentality tricks and gimmicks, this is the movie for you. I give it two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

I know my blog isn't a movie rating service, but I just finished watching this, and I couldn't help myself. ;-)

'Til next time...

Hava

1 comment:

BabyBlogger said...

Awesome movie! I saw him on Oprah too and just fell in love all over again.