Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Irony

First off, I just wanted to say that I have made a goal of putting up a blog on here on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. We'll see if that actually happens, but that's my goal. I really love blogging and could honestly be here all day, but I just can't afford to. I just looked at my statistics for the Google AdSense ads at the top of my blog (I get paid per click on the ads) and although I never expected big bucks from it, the money made thus far has exceeded even my worst expectations. I have only made a penny thus far. They don't even send you a check until you've reached $50--at this rate, I will most likely be dead as well as my grandchildren before $50 is reached. ;-)

So now that I have firmly established the fact that this blog is in no way a money-making venture, let's move onto funnier items, like the fact that my best friend, Bonnie, has West Nile Virus. Now before everyone sends me hate mail, just a bit of background here. First off, she's going to be just fine. She doesn't feel so hot at the moment, but she is going to be just fine, no lasting effects. It's like she has the flu combined with a really bad rash. If she was in serious trouble, I wouldn't find this immensely hilarious like I do. No need to send the hate mail, scout's honor.

Secondly, Bonnie and I go walking Monday through Friday for an hour around a lake (sounds prettier than it really is, sadly enough) and we have spent many a morning discussing the fact that Bonnie is petrified of getting West Nile. She has given the whole run down to the children (any aches or fevers, any rashes, and you come running straight to me like your butt is on fire!) multiple times. She sprays them with mosquito repellent like most people eat chocolate (as much as possible as often as possible) and her kids, good-natured like they are, ignore her for the most part. I don't think she has passed this particular fear on to them, at least not that I can tell. The eye rolls and shrugs are fairly strong indicators of that anyway.

To make things worse, she watched the news a couple of weeks ago and found out that Idaho has the highest cases of West Nile in the country. She freaked out. She began spraying herself with mosquito repellent before our walks (now mind you, we are walking at 6:30 in the morning. I don't do ANYthing before our walks that isn't 1000% necessary) and even started offering to spray me down. I told her I was just fine. I don't know why, but I have never really been that worried about West Nile.

But for Bonnie, the fear has become almost irrational. In her hometown, a guy at her church got it and went blind from it. It has been Bonnie's "boogeyman" ever since. She studied it on the internet so much I'm sure she could teach the experts about the subject.

So when she called me today and told me that she had it, I just started laughing and couldn't stop. I'm sure that I'm going straight to Hades for that, but the irony was just too much.

To make up for my hysterical laughter, I dropped a present and a get-well card off at her house. Perhaps that seat in Hades can be passed onto someone else. ;-) I think the greatest part of this has been the fact that Bonnie has figured out that she has it, she's going to be fine, and life will go on. Her boogeyman has suddenly shrunk to a manageable size. Boonie can be a bit neurotic sometimes (she's my best friend, so I can say that in all fairness,) and I think this has taught her to breathe a little more.

Me? I'm just laughing. Sometimes this universe is just too much.

Hava
Who just may start wearing mosquito repellent herself...

3 comments:

BabyBlogger said...

Hillarious!

Frankly, you "captured" me with your introduction.

Thanks for linking to my blog too. I have GOT to work my situation out over at my place so that I can do all the cool sidebar stuff. You've motivated me to get crackin' on that. Right now, it's allllll the way down at the bottom of my page. :(

I'm going to have to figure out how to check my Google stats too (I'm clueless at this stuff). Oh, and those are some really funky ads you've got up today. You can't look, so I'll just tell you that they feature wonderful closeups of mosquito's in bloodsucking action. That, on top of the mention of a concentrated garlic juice used in the repellent made me quite queasy. lol

Thanks for stopping by and I'll be back often, I promise!

~Laura

P.S. I really do hope your friend is feeling better soon (but it's still funny...lol).

Hava said...

Wow, how ummm...fun. Too bad I can't click on my own Google AdSense ads.

It's funny you mention checking out Google stats, because that is something I have figured out. But on your blog, you talk about looking to see where different people have come from, and how many visitors you have, and I can't for the life of me find that info on my blog. Maybe we ought to exchange e-mails and make each other smart. LOL! If you go to my profile, you can click on the e-mail link and e-mail me that way. I would love to know how you find the statistics, because I have been very curious about that. And I'll gladly tell you how to find the Google stats.

Oh, just so everyone isn't completely confused, I have linked to Laura's blog on this blog (see the right hand bar) because she has a fun and very informative blog. I told her I was doing this, hence her comment on here. Just so everyone is in the loop there...

I better go to sleep. Have a good night everyone!

Hava

BabyBlogger said...

Well, before I accidentally wiped my ads off of my blog, I figured out how to check my AdSense account. Actually, once there, I recalled that I had been there before on the first day I installed my ads. I forget more than I remember these days, lol.

I found several hit counters by visiting Blogger's help section. Once there, click on "Add Ons" and then on "Hit Counters and Statistics". You'll find a selection of about 5 different services that you can use to track visits to your site. If you can't find the section, let me know and I'll email you a direct link to it. Hope this helps!